Friday, January 15, 2010

Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke



Today beautiful song comes to us from the group The Left Banke, a 1960's "bach-rock" American pop group. The term "Bach-rock" comes from groups who would often use "baroque" string arrangements in their compositions. The song was released during July of 1966 and was written by the group's then 16-year-old keyboard player Michael Brown. The song features a flute being played during the instrumental bridge of the middle portion of the song. Michael Brown got the idea for the flute solo from The Mamas & the Papas song "California Dreamin". The song was written about a "real" Renee, Renee Fladen-Kamm who was the then-girlfriend of The Left Banke's bassist Tom Finn and object of Brown's affection.

Brown stated in an interview:

"My hands were shaking when I tried to play, because she was right there in the control room," he says. "There was no way I could do it with her around, so I came back and did it later."

Another possible awkward love triangle? Love triangles make the best love songs!

I just think that it such a beautiful and vulnerable song written by a broken hearted teenage boy. This song somehow brings me back to middle school when my friend dated a boy I had a huge crush on and I felt devastated. Ahh...puppy love!
But I must say my favorite part if the song besides the beautiful melody, is the string quartet and the harpsichord. Maybe it's because I am a nerd and I have always been a J.S. Bach fan!





Renee Fladen-Kamm




Until next time,

Ms. January Black

1 comment:

  1. I swear, I've never heard this song. It's great. I'm so glad that my best friend is a fan of the harpsichord! I remember that middle school crush! So sad :( And they called it Puppy Love.

    ReplyDelete