Thursday, January 14, 2010

Layla by Derek and The Dominoes



It's so hard to choose which song will be the first. I decided that I would just dive in and Layla popped into my mind right away. Maybe it's because I'm finishing up Eric Clapton's autobiography or maybe because it's just such an amazing song and one of top 20 personal favorites of all time! The song was written by Eric Clapton in 1970 and is the thirteenth track on "Layla and other assorted love songs", an entire album inspired by Pattie Boyd (aka Mrs. George Harrison). Eric was in love with his best friends wife! Layla is about Eric pleading to Pattie to leave George and be with him. He had never felt that way about any woman and eventually...years later she did leave George for Eric. The name Layla comes from the story of Layla and Majnun, a moon-princess who was married off by her father to someone other than the one who was desperately in love with her, resulting in Majnun's madness.
The song itself is beautiful and you can feel Clapton's pain and love for Pattie. It opens with Clapton's very famous guitar riff and right away Duane Allman begins dueling with Clapton. Unfortunately I do not have a musical composion background but this clip will help explain:




Tom Dowd is the man! I remember watching this clip in my rock n' roll history class. I really miss that class! Of course I got an A :)

So, I leave you today thinking about awkward love triangles,a broken hearted Majnun, and of course Eric Clapton's Layla.





Until next time,

Ms. January Black

No comments:

Post a Comment