Monday, January 25, 2010

Mind Games by John Lennon



I had an odd dream last night about John and Yoko, so I figured that it was only appropriate to pick something from his solo catalog. As you all know, I am a HUGE Beatle fan and I love most of the Beatles solo music as well. There are so many fabulous songs of John's to choose from but one of my very favorites is "Mind Games".

"Mind Games" is the title track from John's "Mind Games" album, which was released on October 29, 1973. The original demo was titled "Make Love Not War".
The song, which had begun in 1969 and can be heard in the Beatles Let It Be sessions, was inspired by the book of the same name by Robert Masters and Jean Houston, which emphasized the power of the human brain to induce various states of consciousness without the aid of external substances. The book presented a series of exercises intended to maximize one's potential for problem solving, conflict resolution, visionary thinking, creativity, focused listening and super-communication. Each application would start with a brief meditation cycle followed by the guided instructions of a director. During the exercise, only the director would speak, but each person would share their experience afterwards. Mind alteration had long since been a point of interest to Lennon, however he was aware of the risks involved with chemical consumption.


I love this song because of all the different musical elements blended together (electric organ, piano, strings), it seems very powerful. Its such a beautiful song and slightly haunting. It will stay in your head for days! The lyrics are beautiful as well...."Love is the answer, and you know that for sure"..."I want you to make love, not war, I know you've heard it before". Maybe this song always sticks out to me because I love the music video to this song. It's so simple, John walking around in Cental Park, but you get to see his "everyday normal human being" side and that makes me happy. He loved to walk around Central Park and though New York City. That was the time when you could do that without constantly being hounded by the press. I suppose that in a way his freedom to walk around like a normal guy killed him. After all, it was shot while walking with Yoko in front of their apartment building.


Sadly, I can't find a copy of the original music video that will allow me to post but please go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHUfy_YBps



Here is another video that someone made:



Mind Games Outtakes:



I am such a big fan of John's and it makes me sick that he is no longer with us today, but his music lives on forever and in the hearts of millions.




Until next time,

Ms. January Black

2 comments:

  1. That picture (I'm guessing it's the album cover) kind of scares me. Have you watched your Live John Lennon concert video yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet, but I think I'm going to today! I'm very excited about it!!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete