Sunday, January 31, 2010

I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home) by Grand Funk Railroad



Happy Birthday Daddy!

In honor of my Dad's 60th birthday, I have decided to go with one of his favorite songs (and mine as well). He LOVES this song and can listen to it over and over again.

I have to thank my Daddy for not only being a fantastic father but for also introducing me to good ol' fashioned rock n' roll. I remember it was his Abbey Road tape that I stole from him which started my infatuation with The Beatles. I was the only 12 year old at my middle school with an actual record player in their room. I also remember "borrowing" his Dark Side of the Moon tape, which opened a lot of musical doors for me. I remember riding in the car with him when I was in late elementary/middle school and every time a good classic rock song would come on, he would ask me the artist (jokingly). I always answered "Pink Floyd" or "Led Zeppelin" (those were the only two bands I knew of but never listened to). Half the time I was right! I love my Daddy! Now-a-days, it seems to be the other way around. I think I have him beat on Classic Rock trivia and who sings what!



Me & My Dad

Anyways, in honor of him I chose the song "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)" by Grand Funk Railroad. It was the last track on the band's Closer to Home album, released in July of 1970. Mark Farner, GFR's lead singer and lead guitarist, wrote the song. The record was a modest hit single when first released, but achieved greater airplay on progressive rock radio stations. It has become a classic rock staple and has appeared on several audience-selected lists as one of the best rock songs of all time.

Unusually for him, Farner wrote the lyric of the song first, with the words coming to him in the middle of the night after saying prayers for inspiration to write something meaningful. The chord changes to "I'm Your Captain" came to him the following morning between sips of coffee, and the following day he took it to the band. They immediately liked it, but after a while had no ending for the second movement. They came upon the idea of using an orchestra, and hired Tommy Baker, an arranger and trumpet player. He suggested they extend the ending so that his orchestral score would have space to develop in, and producer Terry Knight brought in the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra to record it. The band members never heard the full version until Knight played it for them back in hometown Flint, Michigan. Farner nearly cried when he heard it.



Mark Farner

Over the years many interpretations have been posed by listeners of "I'm Your Captain", including the literal one of mutiny on a voyage, but also ones involving drug addiction and ones by those who see resonance in Homer's Odyssey and themes of returning home, such as college students returning from a long semester. Authors have seen the song as an "epic of paranoia and disease" and as a tale of a man who had lost control of his life in a fashion strong enough to invoke childhood nightmares. It has been used as the subtitle for a chapter of a novel dealing with war and addictions. Comparisons have been made to Walt Whitman's poem "O Captain! My Captain!" in its use of the rank to mean Abraham Lincoln. But the most common interpretations and resonances of "I'm Your Captain" revolve around the Vietnam War. VH1's Behind the Music said the song "became a subtle anti-war anthem". Lee Andresen, author of Battle Notes: Music of the Vietnam War, sees it as portraying President Richard Nixon as "captain" of the United States, losing popular support for continuing the war. Farner himself does not explicitly state what the song is about, and indeed prefers that listeners be able to use their own imaginations when listening to song in general.

Happy Birthday Daddy! I hope you enjoy your song!




Live Version:




Until tomorrow,

Ms. January Black

No comments:

Post a Comment