Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bus Stop by The Hollies



"Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say please share my umbrella"

"Bus Stop" was released as a single in June of 1966 by The Hollies, an English rock group from Manchester who formed in the early 1960s and are known for their distinctive vocal harmony style. They became one of the leading British groups of the era and of the British Invasion.

"Bus Stop" was written by British songwriter Graham Gouldman. In a 1976 interview Gouldman said the idea for the song had come while he was riding home from work on a bus. The opening lines were written by his father, playwright Hyme Gouldman. Graham Gouldman continued with the rest of the song in his bedroom, apart from the middle-eight, which he finished while riding to work on the bus the next day.



Graham Gouldman

I personally love "Bus Stop" because I love the harmonizing of the group during the chorus. Of course I love anything British Invasion related and I'm sure most of you know by now that I am a huge United Kingdom fan! I don't know why but I think British bands, for the most part, are so much better than American bands. Not the say that we don't contribute, after all we do have the Beach Boys! But if you think of all the fabulous musicians that came out of Britain...The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Zeppelin, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Cream, Sabbath, Queen, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac (original line-up), etc...

"Bus Stop" I believe could be the perfect plot for a movie. Boy meets girl at bus stop, they share umbrella, exchange numbers, fall in love, get married (possibly back at bus stop). I can envision it now! But of course the movie would have to take place in London circa 1966 for it to be perfect!





I'm not exactly sure why I love this song so much. I think there is a certain nostalgic appeal to me. Obviously I didn't grow up during the 60's but I used to listen to all of the "oldies" stations during my childhood and a lot of these songs make me think back to the "age of innocence".

Enjoy!




Until tomorrow,

Ms. January Black

2 comments:

  1. Who would star in this "Bus Stop" movie??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking someone like Sienna Miller or Zoey Deschanel. They could pull off the 60's fashion!

    ReplyDelete