Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Summer Rain by Johnny Rivers



Today's song is one of my favorite summer songs. I have always considered myself to be more of a winter/ fall girl but over the last few years I really have grown to enjoy the summers more.

"Summer Rain" performed by Johnny Rivers(aka John Henry Ramistella)and written by Jim Hendricks (not to be confused with Jimi Hendrix), was released in 1967 and topped the US charts at #14. Jim began writing for Johnny River's publishing company, and in 1967 he penned his first million seller… "Summer Rain". This started a long friendship between Jim and Johnny and brought continued success with other hit songs like "Muddy River" and "Look To Your Soul".


Jim Hendricks


Everytime I hear this song it makes me think of my grandparents beach house in Crystal Beach, Texas, which was destroyed during Hurricane Ike in 2008. I grew up going to that beach house every summer and I miss it like crazy! My Mimi would always have the "oldies" station on and I can remember hearing this song over and over. I think part of the reason this song stuck out to me was because of the "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" reference. The actual music is so beautiful and I LOVE all of the strings and horns. There's just something about that really sounds like summer rain, without it actually sounding like rain. When I listen to this, I always think of a sweet summer romance and when I was younger, I secretly wished to have a summer "puppy love" romance at Crystal Beach.


This picture was taken inside the beach house during the summer of 2008. This was my last time to visit the house before it was destroyed. I really wish I would have taken the fake plastic owl with me! LOL


Anyways, please enjoy this copy of "Summer Rain"...





Until next time,

Ms. January Black

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I wish we still had that owl! I love this song! It reminds me of the beach, too!

    ReplyDelete