Tuesday, January 19, 2010

As by Stevie Wonder



Yeah! I just have to acknowledge that I have 1 follower....well 2 if you count Elle Bunny (my BFF) who comments on all my posts! Thank you both for reading and I hope you enjoy!

Todays song comes to us from Mr. Stevie Wonder, aka Stevland Hardaway Morris. The song "As" is on his "Songs in the Key of Life" album that was released September 28, 1976. In September 2008, the album was voted the "Top Album of All Time" by the Yahoo! Music Playlist Blog, using a formula that combined 4 parameters - "Album Staying Power Value + Sales Value + Critical Rating Value + Grammy Award Value".
This double album is considered to be Stevie's best work to date!

I personally LOVE this song and would consider it to be my favorite Stevie Wonder song (even though I have many favorites of his)! I also remember years ago when Stevie was on Oprah and he played her favorite song which also happened to be "As". That's not why I like the song, but for some reason everytime I hear it I always think of Oprah and Stedman.



Oprah & Stedman

"As" is a beautiful love song written by Stevie Wonder and one would assume that it was written for his then girlfriend Yolanda Simmons. Professing is undying love he writes:

"Until the day is night and night becomes the day---ALWAYS
Until the trees and seas just up and fly away---ALWAYS
Until the day that 8x8x8 is 4---ALWAYS
Until the day that is the day that are no more
Did you know that you're loved by somebody?
Until the day the earth starts turning right to left---ALWAYS
Until the earth just for the sun denies itself
I'll be loving you forever"



Enjoy this beautiful song!



Until next time!

-Ms. January Black

2 comments:

  1. Yay for followers! LOL at the Oprah/Stedman comment. There are several songs that make me think of Oprah-as in, I picture Oprah dancing and mouthing the words like an idiot (she always does this in the audience when she has a musician on. My all time favorite is Justin Timberlake).
    I adore this song, and I adore Stevie. It is so beautiful! Remember at the MTV awards when everybody left Stevie on the stage and then Sisqo had to rescue him? Poor Stevie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Stevie! Nobody leaves Stevie on the stage!

    ReplyDelete