Saturday, January 16, 2010

San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair) by Scott McKenzie



"For those who come to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there"

This song makes me want to jump on a plane and head over to Sunny Cali! The 60's were my favorite decade, even though I didn't get to personally experience them. I love everything about that time; the music, the fashion, the culture and the people. I always thought that if I had lived in the 60's, I would be a "mod" living in London studying photography or fashion. Rarely would I consider myself to be a hippie but this amazing song brings out the hippie in me!

San Francisco was written by John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas (another fav group of mine) and was released June of 1967, in promotion with the Monterey Pop Festival. Scott McKenzie and John Phillips grew up together and were childhood friends. John's daughter MacKenzie Phillips is actually named after Scott. John initially wanted to form the Mamas and the Papas with Scott, but he decided he wanted to be a solo artist. This was a horrible choice on Scott's behalf because he was basically a one hit wonder and of course everyone knows the Mamas and the Papas!

One-hit-wonder or not, I still love this song and if I listen to it and close my eyes, I can invision myself twirling around barefoot in a field with a yellow flower in my long hair and all my troubles go away!

Enjoy!




Until next time,

Ms. January Black

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to Mama Cass her out of here! Oh, Mere, I can totally picture you dancing around in a field like a crazy hippy.
    Speaking of hippies, I nominate the song Woodstock by Joni Mitchell. I love that song. Or maybe Little Green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great record, i once heard a guy murder it at a karaoke night in our local pub. He was freestyling and not bothering to read the words on the screen.
    He actualy sang "all across the nation with a strange dilation, people in emulsion"

    LOL

    ReplyDelete