Monday, January 18, 2010

America by Simon and Garfunkel



Todays song has some special meaning to me because it's a song about finding America, finding yourself, and New York City. America was written by Paul Simon for the Bookends record, released on 3 April 1968. The song describes the physical and metaphorical journey of two companions in search of the true meaning of America. But along the way (or before their journey) their relationship starts to dissolve.
"'Kathy, I'm lost,' I said, though I knew she was sleeping" is a reference to Kathy Chitty, with whom Simon had had a relationship while living in England in 1965.
On a more literal level, the song expresses the idea that the search for "America" leads to New York City, as Simon's lovers travel eastward, from Michigan to Pittsburgh and then to the New Jersey Turnpike leading to New York City.

I just love this song! To me, it's so relaxing and is perfect for a rainy day. The idea that they find America and themselves in NYC makes me so proud. I love New York, and when you are there you feel like "this is what it's all about". You try to find yourself in a city full of 8 million people and in some ways it's easy. New York has this energy, this passion, this need to "seize the day". I know that not all parts of America seem like this, but most Americans are and that is why New York is the best representation for America.


Enjoy!



I'm sorry, I could not find the original copy. We will have to settle for this guy....




Picture of Paul Simon & Kathy Chitty

Until next time,

Ms. January Black

No comments:

Post a Comment