Sunday, January 24, 2010

Soul Kitchen by The Doors



"Soul Kitchen" is the second track on The Doors self titled debut album, released in January of 1967.

The song is a tribute to a soul food restaurant Jim Morrison ate at on Venice Beach called Olivia's. Morrison often stayed too late at Olivia's, where he liked the food because it reminded him of home and warmed his "soul." They often kicked him out so they can close, thus lines like: "let me sleep all night, in your soul kitchen."

The Doors are such an AMAZING band and Jim Morrison was a genious (and he's not too bad to love at either)! I also have a great love for Ray Manzarek, the Doors keyboardist. Morrison and Manzarek co-founded the group in Los Angeles in 1965 and psychedelic rock was born.


Jim Morrison


Ray Manzarek

There are so many Doors songs that I love but I feel that this song doesn't get the recognition that it deserves. The first time I heard this song was in Forrest Gump, my all-time favorite movie, and ever since then I always associate this song with the Vietnam War (even though it has nothing to do with it).




I also think of my friend Stephanie when I think of The Doors. A few years ago I remember her telling me that she had a confession to make. I was kinda scared because it sounded somewhat serious. She told me that she didn't like The Doors. I laughed and told her it was ok if she didn't (she knew I was a big fan). Anyways, time went on and all of a sudden she told me that she loved The Doors. And I'm pretty sure that they are one of her favorite bands now.


Me & Stephanie

I hope everyone enjoys Soul Kitchen...



Until next time,

Ms. January Black

3 comments:

  1. I'm a nerd, because I saw the Doors movie when I was like 12, and so when I picture Jim Morrison, I'm really picturing Val Kilmer playing Van Morrison. Have you ever seen that movie? I kind of love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you watch the special on the Doors that was on history channel last week??? Ray was basically the narrator....it was pretty much great!

    ReplyDelete